Gift Edit: What New Babies Really Need
New baby gifts. Before I had children of my own, I used to stand in the middle of beautifully branded baby shops and wonder where to even start. What exactly is the difference between a muslin square and a muslin swaddle / what is the best size babygro / can newborns have too many stuffed toys…
Which partly, is why I started creating our New Baby Bundles. So we can either help that way and provide you with some bespoke ideas (click here) Or alternatively, here are our top tips for new baby gifts:
- Cakes or pastries – always take cakes or pastries or biscuits when you visit a newborn. This is Tip 1. You could just stop here.
- Muslin Swaddles are completely brilliant – for swaddling, for mopping up milk, for wiping dribbles, as a breast feeding cover, for snuggling, as a pram cover… and right up to beyond toddler age (some of our favourite picnic blankets are 4 year old swaddles from my firstborn) They are approx. 120x120cm, so huge, and so functional. And brilliant – did I mention brilliant?
- Kokoso Baby Coconut Oil – having a totally natural skin care product is so lovely, it means it’s perfect for newborn skin, and can help with all those newborn skin conditions; cradle cap, nappy rash, baby acne, dry skin. And it can also be used for the rest of the family too – from conditioning hair to healing toddler scrapes, it can even be used as a natural nipple cream for mama’s. It’s a brilliant all-rounder, which makes it a great new baby gift.
- Babygro’s – if you’re seeing a very newborn baby (and obviously, it depends a lot on the size of the baby) it might be worth considering buying first size or newborn. 0-3month babygro’s are brilliant, and will last, well…hopefully 3 months, but often first size outfits are also super useful too 🙂
- Baby Milestone Cards – I absolutely love these monthly photos, to track those teeny tiny babies growing and changing. On the back of our Monthly Baby Milestone Cards you’ll also find little prompts and spaces to record all those amazing milestones too – so it becomes a Baby Book too. Our cards are all totally unisex, and super soft to touch.
- Too young for toys? After emerging from the newborn baby bubble and once the baby starts developing touch and sight, our teething elephants are a brilliant multi-functional gift, helpful for those painful teething days and a fab light-weight toy to pop in a nappy bag or pocket incase distractions are needed
- Cuddles. All the cuddles (for the new baby, but probably also for the new mama too)
One other gift that is nearly always a winner, is a gorgeous personalised print, there are SO many amazing creative small businesses out there, i’ve popped a few of my favourites here:
And if we can help with anything, we love to chat all things baby gifts – so just pop us a note to email@example.com or take a look at our New Baby Bundle page.